St. Mark’s has a very active United Methodist Women unit. Our primary purposes are the fellowship provided by our three circles, encouraging spiritual growth of our members, and supporting various mission projects to support women, children and youth nationally and around the world. We are one of four UMW units in South District who received an award in 2018 for channeling at least 60% of our budget into Missions Undesignated (where it is most needed). Other funds are donated directly to special mission projects.
Please scroll down to read about our circle meetings, mission projects, and to access the latest edition of the Scope.
To read the latest edition of the Scope, please click the button below.
Special Mission Projects
- New Entra Casa – a home for women rebuilding their lives after incarceration or drug problems
- Community Christian Service Agency – emergency food pantry; clothes, and other supplies also available
- Storefront – provide dinner for homeless teens on the 4th Monday each month
- Rachel Women’s Center – a day center in downtown San Diego for homeless women
- UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) – We support many appeals for disaster relief through this organization
- Mission Outreach Fund – A donation is made to one organization each of the 10 months we meet. We rotate local, national, and international organizations. They may be either church organizations like Red Bird Mission in Kentucky or non-church groups like Mobility Worldwide (that provides hand-cranked tricycles for children and adults who can’t walk).
St. Mark’s Projects
- Sponsor the Thanksgiving lunch the Tuesday before Thanksgiving
- Chrismon Tree during Advent
- Oversee the St. Mark’s email prayer chain
- Fundraisers include pledges in the amount chosen by the giver, bake sales, craft sales, and other special events.